Zhendong (Luke) Sun is a lawyer licensed in both Ontario, Canada and New York, the United States. He graduated from top law schools in China and Canada with distinction. While studying at McGill Faculty of Law, he was the recipient of Chief Justice R.A.E. Greenshields Memorial Scholarship.
Luke practises Canadian and U.S. immigration law, and business law. He has assisted individual clients and 500 companies in a wide array of industries such as financial services, airline, automobile, business consulting, human resources, telecommunications, electronics, IT, health, education, manufacturing, retail, bio-science, real estate and construction.
Luke advises clients on a broad variety of Canadian and U.S. immigration matters including:
- Citizenship/naturalization applications
- Employment, family and humanitarian-based permanent residence/green card applications
- Work permits/employment authorizations for professionals and intra-company transferees
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Visas for investors, traders and entrepreneurs
- Study permits, visitor records/visas, temporary resident permits, travel documents
- Pardons/record suspensions and waivers of inadmissibility
- Appeals and reconsideration requests
Luke’s business law practice include the following areas:
- Incorporation, partnerships, joint ventures
- Shareholders, partnership and joint venture agreements
- Purchase and sale of businesses
- Business structures and planning
- Workforce mobility plans
- Employer compliance and regulatory matters
- Bankruptcy and insolvency search
Luke also prepares, reviews and notarizes various legal documents including but not limited to powers of attorney, separation agreements, wills, affidavits and child travel consent letters.
Prior to opening his own practice, Luke worked at an immigration boutique firm and the world’s largest corporate immigration firm in downtown Toronto for years. He has extensive experience in Canadian and U.S. immigration law as well as business law. Prior to coming to Canada in 2003, Luke worked at a business law firm in China.
Luke is fluent in English and Chinese Mandarin, and has elementary proficiency in French.
- McGill University , B.C.L./LL.B, 2009, with distinction
- McGill University , LL.M., 2006, with distinction
- Shandong University, LL. M., 2002, with honors
- Shandong University , LL.B., 1999, with honors
Bar Admissions & Memberships
- Ontario, Canada, 2010
- New York, USA, 2010
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Presentations & Seminars
- Attendee, “Digitally Connected Canada” Seminar, Toronto Region Board of Trade, January 2016.
- Attendee, “Innovation and the Future of the Auto Industry in Canada” Seminar, The Canadian Club of Toronto, Ontario, November 2015.
- Attendee, “Think Asia, Think Hong Kong” Symposium, Hong Kong Trade Development Council, Toronto, Ontario, June 2015.
- Presenter, “Changes to Temporary Foreign Worker Program and Employer Compliance.” Lecture, Canada-China Chamber of Commerce Conference, Markham, Ontario, April 2014.
- Presenter, “Maintaining Canadian Permanent Resident Status and Becoming a Citizen.” Lecture, CIBC Seminar, Richmond Hill, Ontario, March 2014.
- Presenter, “Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class.” Lecture, Centennial College, Toronto, Ontario, November 2013.
- Presenter, “Labour Market Opinion and Canadian Work Permit.” Lecture, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade Conference, Toronto, Ontario, April 2012.